RE: On the possibility of encoding webdings in Unicode (from Re: square bullets added to unicode.)

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2011 - 14:51:38 CST

    William_J_G Overington <wjgo underscore 10009 at btinternet dot com>
    wrote:

    >> I would assume all of the characters in these four sets, even the more detailed drawings in Webdings like the park, would be treated for encoding purposes as abstract symbols, just like the emoji.  For example, the cat encoded at 0xF6 in Webdings might not necessarily be sitting up or facing right.
    >
    > I suppose it depends upon how it would be encoded.
    >
    > For example,
    >
    > U+1XXXX DOMESTIC CAT
    >
    > or
    >
    > U+1XXXX DOMESTIC CAT SITTING UP AND FACING RIGHT

    It depends on what distinctions the Symbols Subcommittee decides to make
    when encoding these things. They could go either way. For example, the
    original emoji proposal included only one camel, but during the encoding
    process it was decided to disunify this into dromedary and Bactrian
    variants.

    --
    Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­