Re: Sanskrit nasalized L

From: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:24:01 +0530

On Friday 24 June 2011 01:10 AM, vanisaac_at_boil.afraid.org wrote:
> My understanding is that there is nothing inherently wrong with<La +
> Virama + ZWJ + Candrabindu + La>, though, is there? If the
> candrabindu inhibits formation of the half form, you should use ZWJ,
> right? Am I completely off base here?

The point is that the sequence:

<la, virama, candrabindu, la>

is strictly speaking *the* sequence recommended *across* Indic scripts
for representation of Sanskrit clusters involving a nasal and non-nasal
"semivowel".

I say semivowel because similar sequences involving <ya> and <va> are
also there.

The fact that many rendering systems do not support this sequence is a
different matter. Using ZWJ in these cases is as best hack.

--
Shriramana Sharma