Re: UTS46 "transitional period"

From: Mark Davis ☕ <mark_at_macchiato.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 21:05:53 -0700

IDNA2008 doesn't require that validation be done on punycode.

   If the input to this procedure appears to be an A-label (i.e., it
   starts in "xn--", interpreted case-insensitively), the lookup
   application *MAY* attempt to convert it to a U-label

For IDNA2003, the processing is a bit murky. And some browsers check while
others don't.

UTS46, on the other hand, does require that a punycode label be validated,
so in this it is more strict than IDNA2008:

http://unicode.org/reports/tr46/#ProcessingStepConvertValidate

Mark
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*