Re: Quick survey of Apple symbol fonts (in context of the Wingding/Webding proposal)

From: Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 09:08:08 +0100

>The record mark (IBM GCGID SS950000) consists of two horizontal lines
>crossed
>by one vertical line.
>
>The segment mark (IBM GCGID SS960000) consists of three vertical lines
>crossed
>by one horizontal line.
>
>The group mark (IBM GCGID SS970000) consists of three horizontal lines
>crossed
>by one vertical line.

Ah, thanks - my fault, it didn't occur to me that I should look
between R and S to find a record mark, instead of at the beginning
with the other weird stuff! What a system...

>The other two could be proposed as unitary symbols, if anybody really
>needs to
>represent them. They are commensurate with a large number of similar symbols
>consisting of various numbers of horizontal lines crossed by various numbers
>of vertical lines. See, e.g., 29FA, 29FB, 2A68, 2A69, 2AF2, 2AF5.

They could, but wouldn't the same principle that bans new precomposed
accented characters applies? If not, why not?

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.