Re: Quick survey of Apple symbol fonts (in context of the Wingding/Webding proposal)

From: Karl Pentzlin <karl-pentzlin_at_acssoft.de>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 11:02:08 +0200

Am Freitag, 15. Juli 2011 um 19:48 schrieb Asmus Freytag:

AF> The document registry should be limited to documents that can and should
AF> be reviewed in committee.

WG2 N4127 is, by its content and the reference in its introduction,
an appendix to the German NB requests expressed in WG2 N4085. It provides
detailed information which had been included in WG2 N4085 itself if
anybody had the time to prepare this in time before the Helsinki
meeting. As such, it is placed there where WG2 N4085 is.

Also, it can be reviewed. However, as it is not a character encoding
proposal, the items to be reviewed are not the single characters.
The question addressed by the time of writing WG2 N4085 is:
"Is it appropriate to encode characters based on the widespreadness of
 a speific set of fonts only - and if yes, which fonts are to be included?"

In the meantime, the first part of this question was answered in
Helsinki with "Yes".
This reduces the German NB request in WG2 N4085 that other
manufacturers have to be treated equal like Microsoft. To see what
this request really means, it is convenient what such fonts of other
OS manufacturers really contain. To show this for one of them (Apple in
this case), is the *ONLY* intent of WG2 N4127.

To work on a character proposal, the main question has to be answered
first (and this question is the only thing subject to a formal review
at this time) is:
Shall the Apple symbols be encoded on the same base as the Wingding/Webding
symbols, i.e. based on the widespreadness of the font only?
Of course, such a decision has take into account any statement from Apple
themselves, and should not me made before such is there.

Also, before such a decision is taken, it is not appropriate to start
any work on an encoding proposal. (If someone finds specimens in the
list for other proposals which go the usual way, taking their evidence
from plain text use elsewhere [like e.g. chart symbols], this is
completely independent.)

As John Jenkins correctly pointed out, it is too early for a character
encoding proposal.
Thus, I did *deliberately* not start any work which is appropriate for
a character proposal, starting with sorting out the already encoded
characters or the not encodable logos.

Also, it seems that I have to emphasize that I did not intend to start
a new encoding project. The subject of my mail deliberately states
"(in context of the Wingding/Webding proposal)".

- Karl