Re: Latvian and Marshallese Ad Hoc Report (cedilla and comma below)

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:28:36 +0200

Do you mean that these characters will be encoded without permitting
canonnical decompositions (because it would violate the equivalences with
Latvian/Livonian) ?

If so, what you want is just to explicitly say that these cedillas for
Marshallese (or other uses) should be attached and not rendered with a
comma below (current practices). Note that we've also have cases were the
cedilla is shown as a comma above right...

Why using the term MARSHALLESE then ? shouldn't it be enough to name them:

LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L WITH CEDILLA ATTACHED BELOW
LATIN SMALL LETTER L WITH CEDILLA ATTACHED BELOW
LATIN CAPITAL LETTER N WITH CEDILLA ATTACHED BELOW
LATIN SMALL LETTER N WITH CEDILLA ATTACHED BELOW

This exhibits something interesting : what you want to encode is in fact an
explicit variant form for the cedilla (for use in Marshallese), but not for
the base letter itself. But then Latvian/Levonian users will also want to
have their own variants encoded as well.

Can't we imagine :
- the encoding of a new non ambiguous cedilla (i.e. COMBINING CEDILLA
ATTACHED BELOW) ?
- or the encoding with an existing variant selector ? before or after the
cedilla ?
(these two alternatives was not proposed in the five strategies analysed).