Re: Ways to show Unicode contents on Windows?

From: Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse_at_ilyaz.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 17:21:01 -0700

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 04:46:23AM +0000, Peter Constable wrote:

> Your Tai Tham situation is, of course, exceptional. For a lot of
  users, though, if they would only update their XP machines to even
  Windows 7, if not Windows 8.1, they'd find a lot of characters
  they've been missing are well supported. Someone I know just
  discovered that Windows 8 supports Old Italic, and has decided to
  upgrade.

I think that that example of yours supports my point of view 100%.
Why would one NEED to upgrade the OS to use Old Italic? (And I should
not mention how painful [I'm self-censoring] the upgrade to Win8 is
for everybody…)

It is the case of simple rendering. Given a font, and a keyboard
layout (both doable in user-land), it should “just work”. Or I am
missing something?

Or maybe you mean that if one has applications installed with Old
Italic characters in the name, then
Tap-WinKey-Then-Type-the-Name-of-Application will be able to find it
even if one types “normal” Latin characters?

This brings in another question: are folding-for-search rules
user-configurable on “your” OS(es)?

Thanks,
Ilya