Re: Ways to show Unicode contents on Windows?

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 00:18:24 +0100

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 23:35:32 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <eliz_at_gnu.org> wrote:
> From: Peter Constable <petercon_at_microsoft.com>

> IOW, the assertion that one cannot expect an OS shipped in
> 2001 to support scripts that didn't exist at that time is simply
> false. There's no technical problem here, only a managerial decision.

If the Wikipedia article on Uniscribe is correct, the latest Uniscribe
would have been in use, at least with Office, on Windows XP by anyone
who had Office 2010.

>> Also, while you would evidently appreciate seeing an optional
>> update for Uniscribe show up in Windows Update, the vast majority
>> of users would only be confused by that.

> How can a newer and better text shaping engine possibly confuse users?

However, this version, Uniscribe 1.626.7600.20602, seems to have
been one that managed to refuse to rendering scripts later than Unicode
5.1. Presumably this loss should only have been apparent when using
Office. This was corrected in Windows 7 SP1, though I don't know what
was done for Windows XP users of Windows 2010.

Microsoft did not see fit to announce this fix as one of the benefits
of Windows 7 SP1, so I presume that Microsoft thought that too many
people would simply not understand 'shaping engine' or would not care
about the change.

Richard.