Re: Dotted Circle plus Combining Mark as Text

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 14:22:34 +0200

2013/10/20 Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>

> 2013-10-20 11:47, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
> What you could do in a web page is to put U+00A0 U+25CC in one element
>> and U+0E31 in another and position the elements in the same place, set
>> to have the same width and to be horizontally centered.
>>

> Oops. I meant U+25CC and U+00A0 U+0E31.

Good point, all combining marks should work OK when they follow U+0020
(legacy), U+00A0 (prefered), or U+25CC, these three charcters being valid
bases in all scripts

Additionally the "ideographic" space could be added to the list in an
ideographic font, or probably all space characters

Or the joining sharada in an arabic font (provided that the base character
and the combining mark resolve with the same direction under Bidi,
otherwise they will be logically separated in distinct spans; the three
characters above have neutral or inherited directions, they should be part
of the same directional span under Bidi).

However I'm not sure that you can sfely ssume that these bases followed by
multiple combiing marks from scripts with distinct strong RTL and LTR
directions should be treated as a single rendered cluster. E.g. U+00A0 +
<Arabic or Hebrew combining mark> + <Indic combining mark> (caveat: they
are single cluster with the **default** grapheme cluster boundaries and for
the normalisation purpose which may reorder these sequences)