Re: Dotted Circle plus Combining Mark as Text

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 17:17:55 +0200

2013/10/20 Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>

> > What it means is a different issue. U+25CC is a symbol that can be
> > used in a variety of meanings. I don’t think it means anything
> > specific to most people, unless a definition is given. U+0E31 is a
> > Thai vowel sign, and I don’t think any meaning in general has been
> > assigned to it when applied to something else than a Thai letter.
>
> In the context prompting the question, it is an explicit place holder
> for a consonant. The usual symbol used by Thais (or, at least, their
> textbook writers) is a dash, though the dash characters I tried had the
> same problems with Uniscribe - dotted circles sprouted. At least the
> hyphen-minus is available on Thai keyboard layouts. When naming the
> vowels, o ang is used, but, alas, this is not suitable in the said
> context.

Interesting, so the list of "place holders" to support increases, we have:
- whitespaces (including SP, NBSP, NNBSP, ZWSP, ideographic...)
- arabic joiners
- U+25CC (possibly also other geometric symbols)
- dashes and hyphens

However the question remains bout if you should combine in the same cluster
sequences of diacritics for "incompatible" scripts which are not in the
"Common" or "Inherited" Unicode script sets (e.g. Arabic or Hebrew points,
vs. Indic vowels) under the same encoded base placeholder.

In my opinion, such combinations should not occur without a specification
bout how they can interct, and it will still be valid for the renderer to
insert an extra dotted circle place holder in the middle of these sequences
(after reordering made by normalisation).