Re: Dotted Circle plus Combining Mark as Text

From: Lorna Evans <lorna_evans_at_sil.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 15:49:23 -0500

I'm sending this on behalf of my coworker Sharon Correll:

We've run into this dotted circle problem on our ScriptSource website
(scriptsource.org) where we are trying to display diacritics from many
scripts in isolation, using a wide variety of fonts, eg:
http://scriptsource.org/block/0980. I wrote a blog post about the problem:

http://scriptsource.org/entry/vr82t8n6pt

We've seen single dotted circles, double dotted circles, no dotted
circles, and even no diacritics at all. There is very little
consistency, so it seems like some interaction between the
font-smarts/rendering-engine/browser. I didn't investigate deeply
enough to figure out which, but bottom line, there doesn't seem to be
a good across-the-board solution.

Solving it on a script-by-script basis is not ideal, but we might bite
the bullet and do that if we could figure out something that would
actually give reasonable results.

Sharon Correll
SIL International