Unicode 9.0 Candidate Emoji

From: <announcements_at_unicode.org>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 14:29:12 -0700

The Unicode Consortium has accepted 38 emoji characters as candidates
for Unicode 9.0, scheduled for release in mid-2016. At this point, these
emoji are candidates---/not yet finalized/---so some may be removed from
the candidate list, and others may be added. Names, images, and code
points may also change, so these candidates are not yet ready for use in
production systems.

These emoji have been accepted as candidates for Unicode 9.0 for a
variety of reasons. They may be needed for compatibility with emoji
characters in existing systems. For example, the FACE WITH COWBOY HAT
was accepted for compatibility with the emoji used in Yahoo Messenger.
Some are chosen based on expected high frequency of use or because they
are highly popular requests from online communities. Others fill gaps in
the existing set of Unicode emoji, as by completing a gender pair.

Many other prospective emoji characters are still being assessed and
could be approved in the future. For more information about selection
criteria, see Selection Factors
<http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/#Selection_Factors> in /UTR #51,
Unicode Emoji/.

The images shown below are draft black and white versions for the
Unicode 9.0 charts. Once the emoji candidates have been finalized,
vendors that support emoji will provide colorful and better-designed
displays for each of these. For example, the emoji for /shrug/ might
appear as shown on the right.

?
Some of these new emoji would take the new emoji modifiers as discussed
in Diversity <http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51#Diversity>. Some emoji
may also get annotations to help guide design and usage. For example,
the cucumber emoji could also be used to represent a pickle.

Candidates Code
Image
        Candidate Unicode Name
1F920
        FACE WITH COWBOY HAT
1F921
        CLOWN FACE
1F922
        NAUSEATED FACE
1F923
        ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING
1F924
        DROOLING FACE
1F925
        LYING FACE
1F919
        CALL ME HAND
1F933
        SELFIE
1F91A
        RAISED BACK OF HAND
1F91B
        LEFT-FACING FIST
1F91C
        RIGHT-FACING FIST
1F91D
        HANDSHAKE
1F91E
        HAND WITH FIRST AND
INDEX FINGER CROSSED
1F930
        PREGNANT WOMAN
1F926
        FACE PALM
1F937
        SHRUG
1F57A
        MAN DANCING
1F934
        PRINCE
1F935
        MAN IN TUXEDO
1F936
        MOTHER CHRISTMAS
1F940
        WILTED FLOWER
1F6F4
        SCOOTER
1F6F5
        MOTOR SCOOTER
1F6D1
        OCTAGONAL SIGN
1F942
        CLINKING GLASSES
1F5A4
        BLACK HEART
1F950
        CROISSANT
1F951
        AVOCADO
1F952
        CUCUMBER
1F953
        BACON
1F954
        POTATO
1F955
        CARROT
1F98A
        FOX FACE
1F985
        EAGLE
1F986
        DUCK
1F987
        BAT
1F988
        SHARK
1F989
        OWL

http://blog.unicode.org/2015/05/unicode-90-candidate-emoji.html

----
All of the Unicode Consortium lists are strictly opt-in lists for members
or interested users of our standards. We make every effort to remove
users who do not wish to receive e-mail from us. To see why you are getting
this mail and how to remove yourself from our lists if you want, please
see http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html#announcements