Re: Deleting Lone Surrogates

From: Asmus Freytag (t) <asmus-inc_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 15:34:13 -0700
On 10/4/2015 2:35 PM, Richard Wordingham wrote:
However my opinion is that   𑒏�𑒺 (using U+FFFD substitution) gives 2
> grapheme clusters, I would prefer a solution that gives 3 grapheme
> clusters, as if the lone surrogate was a line-break control, so that
> the third character (combining, but just after the lone surrogate)
> will not combine with it but will be handled as a defective combining
> sequence with no starter at all before it.
I'd much prefer to be able to delete the first character of a grapheme
cluster.  It's annoying to have to retype 4 characters because one's
mistyped the first of the 4 characters in a grapheme cluster.  Removing
the restriction would be much more useful.

That makes sense for common typos, less so, for uncommon (hopefully) data corruption.

For some languages, you'll be typing several keystrokes, even if it's a single code point; there seems to be limited desire to allow you to "edit" the keystrokes. For other languages I would expect a UI design to cater to what local custom prefers.

A./