Re: Latin glottal stop in ID in NWT, Canada

From: Asmus Freytag (t) <asmus-inc_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 00:38:45 -0700
On 10/16/2015 12:18 AM, Marcel Schneider wrote:

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:46:46 -0700, Leo Broukhis <leob@mailcom.com> wrote:

> Along the same lines, should I be able to change my last name
> officially to Ƃpyxᴎc? (NB all letters are codepoints with names
> starting with "LATIN").

Your question is hard for me to answer, but I believe that basically you are allowed to submit a name change request for any last name you would like to bear, including any orthography. Ultimately the decision making belongs to your government.

Unless based on information about the jurisdiction involved and preferably some definite knowledge of its rules, this kind of contribution is worse than useless.

The first letter is from an obsolete orthography and the second to last is for phonetic use (it's a small-caps, so Unicode recommends it not being used for ordinary text).

For systems that do limit their character repertoire to a "clean" subset, these two would be prime candidates for exclusion. So Leo would be unable to register that name as a top level domain name, for example.

A./