Re: Terminology (was: Latin glottal stop in ID in NWT, Canada)

From: Marcel Schneider <charupdate_at_orange.fr>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:52:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 08:53:15 +0100, Richard Wordingham wrote;

> On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 08:59:21 +0200 (CEST)
> Marcel Schneider wrote:
>
> > Reading forth, I stumbled upon yet other oddities. Some people are
> > calling “Roman alphabet” what seemingly should be Latin script, while
> > roman is today a font style only.
[...]
> 'Latin script', in so far as it is translatable, translates into
> English as 'Roman alphabet'.

Thank you for the correction. Indeed I wasn't aware that in the languages around me, "Roman alphabet" is though less recommended but synonymous of "Latin alphabet" and as such has even an entry in Simple Wikipedia, eventually to convert spirits to "Latin alphabet" (which I've just helped forth by replacing some instances).

So I apologize to all people I offended on this point, but maintain the other statements unless otherwise corrected.

> I would like an English translation of Chapter 3 'Conformance',
> but I suspect a French translation would have higher priority, and I
> don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

Indeed the last French translation being that of version 5.0, updating it could be consistent, but thinking about Germans and their using the original documentation (presumably by reading it in English), and all the other countries and languages, and a part of Swiss people communicating across the inner language barrier by switching to English, I wonder whether this pain must be taken. For somebody who has read TUS in French, it could be much harder mailng about on the Unicode Public List :)

Kind regards,

Marcel