RE: Latin glottal stop in ID in NWT, Canada

From: Peter Constable <petercon_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 15:56:30 +0000

> If you look at a "common" map centered on the equatorial line,

Philippe, I have personal ties to northern Canada. I’m aware of the distances. Alaska is comparable to the combination of France, Germany, Poland, Belarus and Ukraine. The distances involved are comparable to migrating from the Ural Mountains to France.

>"North-West Territories" is only today's name of an organized Canadian province.

You said you’re earlier reference was with a more generic meaning. But now you clearly misspell when referring to the administrative entity, even after I gave you the correct spelling. Also, in Canada, territories are not considered provinces: these different types of administrative unit have distinct statuses in relation to the constitution and the federal government.

Russian migrants going to wherever doesn’t seem relevant to me. Yes, potentially they can influence other peoples, but the only kinds of migrants that tend to influence literacy among other people groups are missionaries, and I’m not aware of Russian missionaries having worked in the Northwest Territories.

The languages in question are spoken in coastal regions of Alaska. You either have to cross the width of Alaska or else cross the tall coastal mountains before you reach northwestern territories of Canada. It seems very unlikely to me, given that you’re dealing with very, very different ecological and climactic zones.

> there could remain old books

I could just as readily speculate that early Gauls in Normandy wrote with early ideographic writing. After all, it is far easier to migrate across Eurasia, with much less variation in climactic zones, than to go from the Alaskan coast to the Canadian interior.

Rather than speculate, can we just stick to documented attestations we can point to? Hypothetical possibilities about Cyrillic don’t seem too relevant to the topic of actual glottal stop usage in Canada, which is fairly well documented.

Peter