Re: Purpose of and rationale behind Go Markers U+2686 to U+2689

From: Andrew West <andrewcwest_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 21:21:51 +0000

On 15 March 2016 at 19:48, K.C.Saff <kc_at_saff.net> wrote:

> I often see numbers roll over at 100, displayed on a new board, so even just
> the full set of two digit forms adds a lot of utility for go games. This
> seems to be a standard practice at Wikipedia (
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaGo_versus_Lee_Sedol#Game_4 ), Sensei's
> Library and a lot of books that I've worked through.

That's certainly true, although it is not hard to find examples which
go over 100 (http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Ludus/Weiqi/FamousGames_279.jpg),
and even the AlphaGo vs Lee Sedol Wikipedia page shows one game
diagram that goes into the 200s.

> Completing both sets
> up to 99, adding "00", and including the most common markers (triangle,
> square, etc.) seems like a good, useful compromise.

Possibly. I certainly have very little expectation that a proposal to
complete both sets to 999 (or even 399) would have any chance of
success.

I am currently working on a proposal for the triangle and square go
markers, and am still considering the best approach to the circled
numbers. Any feedback would be most welcome.

http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Unicode/GoNotation.pdf

Andrew