Re: Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2017 21:21:36 +0200

I like these proposed border-box charcters which where clearly missing in
the box-drawing set (where they exist only when they pass through the
center of a cell.
However, unless they are are ujssed in monoxpaced fonts, I don't think that
all of them have to match the same width as the checkers cells, notaby the
2 vertical and 4 corner ones which can clearly be narrower (only the 2
horizontal ones, top or bottom, need to match the cell).

Also, if a variation selector is used for a white or black square, the
rendering should still extend the width the pieces drawn inside to center
them in a square board cell. Pieces without these background selectors can
still be using proportional width (for example in texts showing a game play
positions).

Note also that for draughts pieces, in French they are not called "homme"
(=man) and "roi" (=king), but "pion" (=pawn) and "dame" (or "reine", both
meaning "queen" in chess, draughts and card decks games: the "draught" game
itself is named "dames" with the plural).

Many draughts and chess players may use chess pieces to play draughts (if
there's not enough king/queen in chess pieces, they can as well use other
pieces except pawns). The board itself may be any suitable grid. Some will
use or grains/small rocks for pawns and real money coins (white metal
vs.yellow/red metal) for king/queen.

In classrooms (where pieces are too frequently lost), children build their
own pieces only with colored paper/carton and every player has in fact
played with friends/family using such substitutes, and it is even easier
and more friendly than playing now with two small smartphones/tablets with
a connected app (those apps don't need Unicode encoding at all, they use
their own graphics).