Re: Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

From: Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14_at_telia.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2017 03:05:25 +0200

Den 2017-04-06 02:47, skrev "Michael Everson" <everson_at_evertype.com>:

> Well, see my follow-up to James Kass and evaluate the merits of the two
> choices.

> Do generic font makers intend to support both graphic terminal
> emulation and chess?

I don't know. But it should not be impossible to do so.

> Should chess font makers be burdened with graphic
> terminal emulation glyphs they know nothing about?

If it is really a chess font, they can just use the glyphs for the chess
variety also as the "plain" (terminal emulator variety), and it would not
matter (as long as no-one insist on using it for terminal emulation). All
that is needed for that is a manoeuvre to copy a few glyphs within the font
(when creating the font). I guess that is not very hard...

/Kent K

>> On 6 Apr 2017, at 01:31, Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14_at_telia.com> wrote:
>>

>> Exactly.
>>
>> /K
>>
>> Den 2017-04-06 01:25, skrev "Michael Everson" <everson_at_evertype.com>:
>>
>>> 2581 FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # LOWER ONE EIGHTH BLOCK
>>> 258F FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # LEFT ONE EIGHTH BLOCK
>>> 2594 FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # UPPER ONE EIGHTH BLOCK
>>> 2595 FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # RIGHT ONE EIGHTH BLOCK
>>> 2596 FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # QUADRANT LOWER LEFT
>>> 2597 FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # QUADRANT LOWER RIGHT
>>> 2598 FE00; Chessboard box drawing; # QUADRANT UPPER LEFT