Re: PETSCII mapping?

From: Elias Mårtenson <lokedhs_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 10:40:19 +0800

On 6 April 2017 at 09:44, James Kass <jameskasskrv_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Rebecca Bettencourt wrote,
>
> > I can put together a unified chart, with mappings to Unicode where
> > they exist. In fact I think I'll do that. :)
>
> I hope you do. That would be a good starting point.

The Wikipedia page on PETSCII has a character map where the missing
characters are highlighted. Based on my count, there are 31 missing
symbols. Those should be reasonably simple to document and highlight.

Do we also have to create an example font that includes these symbols? That
seems to be what Michael Everson did for his chess notation proposal that I
read recently.

Then there is the issue of what to do with the text colour and style
selectors. PETSCII has characters that indicate a colour change as well as
reverse video. At least the reverse video one is important, as it's being
used to construct new characters. For example, PETSCII only has a single
character "half block" (top part filled). The way you represent a half
block with the bottom part filled is to use the reverse video together with
the former.

It would probably make more sense to represent the reversed symbols as
separate code points?

Regards,
Elias