Re: Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

From: Philippe Verdy via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 17:44:12 +0200

> Den 2017-04-10 12:19, skrev "Michael Everson" <everson_at_evertype.com>:
>
> > I believe the box drawing characters are for drawing boxes
>
> Which is exactly what you are doing.
>
> > and grids on
> > computer terminals, which is not the same thing as scoring a line around
> a set
> > of 64 graphic images.
>
> No, that is why I put in variation selectors. The glyphic variation
> selected would in my judgement fall well within the "box drawing semantics"
> (if you like) of these characters.

Some Asian chess boards include also diagonal lines or dots on top of their
crossing (notably 9x9 boards are subdivided into nine 3x3 subgroups by such
dots). These chess boards do not alternate white and black "squares" ;
beside this, the cells may also be rectangular (longer vertically than
horizontally) however such metric is not so important, as long as all cells
have coherent sizes and can fit the pieces (which are flat like domino
tiles, but not laid vertically on top of the table, and where pieces use
symbols or sinograms instead of 3D head sculptures).

I've not seen any box drawing character with such dots or all the needed
diagonals.