Re: Unicode Digest, Vol 50, Issue 13

From: Janusz S. Bień via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 18:19:50 +0100

On Sun, Feb 18 2018 at 18:03 CET, kilobyte_at_angband.pl writes:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 02:35:00PM +0100, Janusz S. Bień via Unicode wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 18 2018 at 14:06 CET, unicode_at_unicode.org writes:
>> > Subject: metric for block coverage
>> >
>> > Hi!
>> > As a part of Debian fonts team work, we're trying to improve fonts review:
>> > ways to organize them, add metadata, pick which fonts are installed by
>> > default and/or recommended to users, etc.
>> >
>> > I'm looking for a way to determine a font's coverage of available scripts.
>> > It's probably reasonable to do this per Unicode block. Also, it's a safe
>> > assumption that a font which doesn't know a codepoint can do no complex
>> > shaping of such a glyph, thus looking at just codepoints should be adequate
>> > for our purposes.
>>
>> As a Debian user using some rare characters for old Polish
>> transliteration I would be happy with a tool which scans
>> available/installed fonts for a specific list of characters and shows
>> only those fonts which support the whole list. Of course showing also
>> the characters in question would be very desirable.
>
> Thanks, your suggestion is a good addition to the wishlist of features we'd
> want to have. Especially for the "available" case -- it'd be tedious to
> install all candidates just to check them.
>
> As for "installed":
> fc-list ':charset=16e5' file family

Thanks!

Some time ago I was looking at various Debian font utilities and found
nothing suitable, but looks like I should use Google more intensively:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/162305/find-the-best-font-for-rendering-a-codepoint

Best regards

Janusz

--
                           ,
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)