Re: UCD in XML or in CSV? (is: UCD in YAML)

From: Marcel Schneider via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 05:50:56 +0200 (CEST)

On 06/09/18 19:09 Doug Ewell via Unicode wrote:

> Marcel Schneider wrote:
>
> > BTW what I conjectured about the role of line breaks is true for CSV
> > too, and any file downloaded from UCD on a semicolon separator basis
> > becomes unusable when displayed straight in the built-in text editor
> > of Windows, given Unicode uses Unix EOL.
>
> It's been well known for decades that Windows Notepad doesn't display
> LF-terminated text files correctly. The solution is to use almost any
> other editor. Notepad++ is free and a great alternative, but there are
> plenty of others (no editor wars, please).
>
> The RFC Editor site explains why it provides PDF versions of every RFC,
> nearly all of which are plain text:
>
> "The primary version of every RFC is encoded as an ASCII text file,
> which was once the lingua franca of the computer world. However, users
> of Microsoft Windows often have difficulty displaying vanilla ASCII text
> files with the correct pagination."
>
> which similarly assumes that "users of Microsoft Windows" have only
> Notepad at their disposal.

Thank you, I’ve got the point.

I’m taking this opportunity to apologize and disclaim for this post of mine:

https://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2018-m08/0134.html

where I was not joking, but completely out of matter, unable to make sense
of the "Unicode Digest" subject line, that refers to a mail engine feature and
remained unchanged due to limited editing capabilities in a cellphone mailer.
Likewise "unicode-request_at_unicode.org" is used by the engine for that purpose.

My apologies to Doug Ewell, and thanks for your kind reply taking the pain
while having limited access to e-mail.

Best regards,

Marcel