Re: Latin 1 Western-Eurocentric?

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Fri Aug 28 1998 - 09:57:41 EDT

If you need a way to write your own keyboard, I recommend KeyMan 3.2
by Tavultesoft. One place this can be found is at

http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/keyman.html

This is quite powerful, allowing you to write context-sensitive rules.
I used it to write a keyboard that handles Hebrew on Windows
brain-dead rendering system (i.e. all diacritic positioning and
context-sensitive script behaviour is handled by the keyboard handler,
not by the rendering system (where it should be handled), but also not
by the user) - not at all trivial. It has been used for lots of
different applications and would be ideal for someone who wants to use
a US English keyboard but also wants to be able to access characters
in the upper half of cp1252 on occassion.

Unfortunately, KeyMan currently doesn't work on WinNT. It works fine
on Win3.x and Win95, and I'd be surprised if it didn't run on Win98
(=Win95.01).