Re: New Bengali character?

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Thu Sep 03 1998 - 13:31:37 EDT

Jeroen, thanks...

> The character shown is used for the english vowel in add, etc.

Understood.

> Graphically
> it is composed out of VOWEL-A SECONDARY-LETTER-YA VOWEL-SIGN-AA.

Thanks, now I can see the derivation.

Where does it originate? Is this new, or has it been around forever?

In any case, why is it not representable in Unicode at this time? You give
the sequence:

        LETTER A, VIRAMA, LETTER YA, VOWEL SIGN AA

or as Walter Torrange wrote:
        U+0985 U+09CD U+09AF U+09BE

which seems perfectly reasonable to me. Would there be any other
conflicting interpretation of such a sequence? If not, could this just be
documented as above?

        Rick