Re: HTML anchors in UTF-8

From: Dan Kegel (dank@alumni.caltech.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 10 1998 - 12:31:18 EDT

Herbert Elbrecht wrote:
> Charles Muller ... placed a crucial question "HTML anchors in UTF-8":
> > I recently converted my HTML-based Web dictionaries into UTF-8 in order
> > to have greater multilingual functionality, but I now have a problem.
> > Many of the terms in my dictionaries are linked by HTTP anchors (#).
> > These work fine on my local machine in NT4.0 and Win95, but cease to be
> > operative after I upload the material on to the Unix server. This has
> > forced me to reinstall the old JIS versions of my dictionaries for the
> > time being.
>
> > Has anyone heard of this bug, or know a way around it?

Dr. Muller,
could you provide us with the URL of a UTF-8 version of one of your
pages,
so we can try it out and see the problem for ourselves?

On your web page, you have advice for users on how to view your
pages on the Mac and on Windows, and say you'll include info on
other options as they become available.
I had no trouble viewing your pages with Netscape 4.05 and Red Hat Linux
5.1.
(It really gives me a kick to see Japenese text finally showing
up properly in a web browser - without me doing anything at all!
I didn't lift a finger!)
You might mention that this combination works well.

Thanks,
Dan

To the Unicode list-

I just looked at Muller's site, www.human.toyogakuen-u.ac.jp/~acmuller
It's interesting. The home page declares itself shift-jis in a META
tag:
<HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
charset=x-sjis">
and contains embedded Japanese text.

The embedded Japanese text is always surrounded with a FONT FACE tag,
e.g.
 <FONT FACE="£Í£Ó £ÐÌÀÄ«" LANG="JA">ÐǶµÍѸì´Á±Ñíæŵ</font>
not sure how important this is, nor how it affects readability on
systems (like mine) that don't have that particular Microsoft font.

His Radical Index page,
http://www.human.toyogakuen-u.ac.jp/~acmuller/cjkdict/radicalindex.htm
is very simple - here's the first few lines of HTML source:
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=x-sjis">
<TITLE>Radical Index</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<center><h2>Radical Index</h2></center>
<A HREF="index.htm">Return to Main Index</A><br>
<HR>
<FONT FACE="£Í£Ó ÌÀÄ«" LANG="JA" size=+2>
<b>1</b> °ì
 <A HREF="data/002.htm">Ãæ</A>
 <A HREF="data/003.htm">Ц</A>

I think the HTML anchors he was talking about are visible in the
above excerpt.
- Dan