Re: Danish & Norwegian sorting

From: Kolbjørn Aambø (k.h.aambo@ub.uio.no)
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 03:51:35 EDT

>Is anyone familiar with the current practice in Denmark & Norway for
>collating AE vs Æ (A-E-ligature), OE vs Ø (O-stroke) and AA vs. Å (A-ring)?
>
>I'm receiving conflicting requirements for these characters, as well as
>confusing information about collating borrowed words containing A/O/U with
>diaresis (umlaut). My understanding is that the correct sort sequence is:
> A, B, C, .... X, Y, Z, AE/Æ, OE/Ø, AA/Å
>but that many commercial situations have decided to sort the letter pairs
>as in English, and sort only the Danish characters after Z. I have no idea
>where to place the German letters: should the U-umlaut be sorted after U or
>with Y, the A-umlaut after A or with Æ?
>
>What does Dansk Standardiseringsråd say? I believe there's also a Dansk
>Sproginstitut (or something like that): anyone know what their view is on
>this?
>
>Brendan

Norwegian ordering is as follows

Aa, Bb, Cc....,Yy:Üü, Vv..., Zz,Ææ:Ää, Øø:Öö,Åå:<Aa><aa>.

Æ have the name LATIN LETTER AE ...(Ash) in 10 646 by the way....
Notice that a double a (Aa or aa) is ordered as Å and å. Å replaced Aa in
the 1917 Norwegian writing reform. The same happened in Danish in 1948.

Æ can be displayed AE, Ø can be displayed OE and Å can be displayed as AA
in 7-bit ASCII when there are no alternative ways of displying them. AE and
OE are not legitimate variants of Æ and Ø as such and should therefore be
regarded as separate characters when written as separate characters.

I have been representing Norway in the JTC1/SC2 in the ISO/IEC 10 646 work.
Kolbjørn Aambø,
University of Oslo Library.