Re: Terminal Graphics Draft 2

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 16:18:12 EDT

Frank da Cruz wrote:

> 5.0. Unicode Control Pictures

[...]

> Notes:
> (1) There is no known need for these symbols when emulating current
> terminals. In the future, if/when terminals are based on Unicode, they
> might be useful in that context. In the meantime, makers of word
> processors, Web browsers, etc, might have a use for these glyphs.

I agree with Rick: don't propose characters that someone might need
someday. There are quite enough characters, and indeed whole
scripts, that are not yet available!

> 2421 7F DEL DT Symbol for Delete (3)

[...]

> (3) Not, strictly speaking, a control character, but not a visible
> one either.

DEL is a control character in every sense, despite its position at 7F.

> 5.3. EBCDIC Control Pictures

Note: the EBCDIC/Unicode mapping tables at the Unicode FTP site
map the EBCDIC-specific controls onto the C1 space, but the mapping
seems to make no sense. For example, EBCDIC 09 (Superscript)
is mapped to Unicode 008D (Reverse Line Feed). Why?