Re: Terminal Graphics Draft 2

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 13:32:39 EDT

John Cowan wrote:

> But the SYMBOL FOR NEWLINE is not tied to U+2424, which is a LINE
> SEPARATOR, not a line terminator. A typical (though not the only)
> glyph for U+2424 is the one which appears on the Enter key of PC
> keyboards.

No.

U+2424 *is* SYMBOL FOR NEWLINE

It is a graphic symbol for the NEWLINE function.

U+2424 is *not* a line separator, nor a line terminator. It is not
a control function or control code at all.

It *is* the character which should be used when displaying a graphic
symbol for the control function NEWLINE. And here we are talking
the EBCDIC NL (etc.), not C `\n'.

U+21B5 DOWNARDS ARROW WITH CORNER LEFTWARDS is the character which
can be used to represent that which typically appears on the Enter key
of PC keyboards (i.e., serving as a graphic symbol for CARRIAGE RETURN).

Incidentally, there is another pile of graphic symbols for keyboard
functions coming down the pike in Amendment 22 to 10646 (based on
ISO 9995-7). These should be checked to verify that there are no
duplicates against the collection of symbols being proposed for
terminal emulation. (Examples: symbols for compose, enter, alternate,
shift lock, undo, print screen, clear screen, delete, etc.)

--Ken