Re: Terminal Graphics Draft 2

From: Alain LaBont\i\ (
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 16:43:43 EDT

A 08:33 98-10-09 -0700, Otto Stolz a écrit :
>Am 1998-10-8 um 12:19 hat John Cowan geschrieben:
>> A typical (though not the only)
>> glyph for U+2424 is the one which appears on the Enter key of PC
>> keyboards.
>Please describe.
>On my keyboards (both PC and X-Terminal), the Enter key has the word
>"Enter" engraved, whilst the Return key has a U+21B2 Downwards Arrow
>with Tip Leftwards (or is it a glyph variant of U+21B5?).
>If I remember correctly, my 3270 terminal had the similar engravings
>on these keys, viz. "DatFreig" (Datenfreigabe = German translation of
>"Enter"), and U+21B5, respectively. Cf. figure 3-1 in IBM form GA27-2837-8
>"IBM 3270 Information Display System Character Set Reference".
>Btw., the semantics of these 3270 keys were quite different: the Enter
>key sends data to zhe host, whilst the Return key is just a local cursor
>movement without sending anything.
>Best wishes,
> Otto Stolz

[Alain] :
According to ISO/IEC 9995-7 (Symbols used for keyboard functions), "Enter"
(fr: Validation) and "Return" (fr: Retour) are indeed two very different
functions, with two different international symbols. On 3270's they are
used simultaneously. On PCs, only the Return function is used *generally*,
unless you use a terminal emulator, in which case, Enter is also used
(generally dedicating the same scan code as the righ-hand-side Control key;
some applications alos use the Return key of the numeric keypad as an Enter

Alain LaBonté
Project editor, ISO/IEC 9995 series (8 parts)
Coeditor, ISO/IEC 9995-7 (with Bernard Chauvois and Fred Bealle)
[and author/designer of several keyboard drivers for PCs]

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:20:42 EDT