Re: Who can read UTF-8 in email today?

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 19 1998 - 15:59:59 EDT

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Markus Kuhn wrote:

> I'd be very curious about which email software out there is already
> supporting UTF-8 encoded plain-text files and can at least display
> them correctly.

  As you know well, for terminal-based email programs, it's not a matter
of feature of email programs but what a specific terminal under which
they're running. So, if I read your message in a version of xterm
modified to support UTF-8 as well as two Korean encodings EUC-KR and
JOHAB (hanterm 3.04beta4pl4 or later), I have no problem reading parts
of your message (after switching the terminal mode to UTF-8 by a mouse
click) in characters(about 9000 of them) covered by KS X 1001 and
US-ASCII(plus additional 8822? Hangul syllables not covered by KS X 1001
but covered by JOHAB and Unicode 2.0 or later).

> If you can read a significant fraction of the following Unicode test
> characters on your email system, please let me know. I will write a list
> of UTF-8 enabled email products and post it.

  Besides, MS OE and Netscape 4.0x/4.5bx can take care of UTF-8 encoded
messages pretty well. Also, I suspect that some email(MIME-aware)
packages for Emacs 20.x can handle UTF-8 encoded messages.

    Jungshik Shin