Re: Who can read UTF-8 in email today?

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Mon Oct 19 1998 - 15:57:40 EDT

I sent my report privately, but I might as well get it out there:

Netscape Messenger 4.06/NT (the mailer that comes with Netscape
Communicator) cannot cope with UTF-8; it thinks UTF-8 and UTF-7 are
both UTF-7. This is *not* true of Netscape Navigator viewing
plain UTF-8 text. Furthermore, Messenger utterly ignores the
charset option of the Content-Type header, forcing the user to
switch encodings manually.