Re: The Fontaine alphabet: Silent alphabet

From: Mark Davis (marked@best.com)
Date: Sun Oct 25 1998 - 01:34:52 EDT

Very nice. I recall seeing one for English years ago. It was like the "Able,
Baker, Charlie,..." alphabet used to disambigate letters, except that the
first letter is always misleading (not always silent). All words had to be in
the OED.

I remembered a couple of words on the list: Bdellium and Ctenoid. A quick
search on the net came up with a couple of sites with lists:

http://www.doves.demon.co.uk/abc.html
http://www.nd.edu/+AH4-psain/alpha1.html

Mark

--