Re: UTF-8/Mac OS/PowerMail

From: David Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 15:49:23 EST

Herbert Elbrecht (elbrecht@csi.com) wrote:

>> Yes, that is correct.
>> That is the way Apple specified its development standards !
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> jean michel/ctm qa
>
>Just another Golden Cage for MacUsers!
>Who's to Think Different?
>I really wonder!

As I've said before, starting with Mac OS 8.5, it is possible for an
application to input and draw the entire repertoire of Unicode, including
characters beyond the BMP when they get allocated.

If the capabilities of Mac OS were less beforehand, I can assure you it
is not because we wanted to tie people's hands. Implementing a full
Unicode rendering capability is not a trivial task.

By the way, QuickDraw GX supported rendering of Unicode since 1994.

David Goldsmith
Architect, International & Text Group
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmith@apple.com