RE: OS 99

From: Ienup Sung (ienup.sung@eng.sun.com)
Date: Tue Nov 10 1998 - 13:36:11 EST

Solaris 2.6 and 7 releases support Unicode by using UTF-8 and UCS-4.
With that, you can transparently use every API we have and also GUI components
to write internationalized software, compile to a single binary, and, use
the single binary not only for Unicode but also for any other codesets (and
locales) that Solaris system support.

If you have written an application in the previous Solaris releases that
is properly internationalized, it will also run without re-compilation on
Solaris 7 and transparently support Unicode features that the platform is
providing. (For GUI apps, you will have to provide a Unicode resource file
so that the Unicode fontset/fontlist definition will be picked up at
the run time.)

For more descriptions on Solaris Unicode support, please visit our on-line
product documentation site:

        http://docs.sun.com/
                --> Soalris 7 --> Solaris 7 Software Developer Collection
                        --> Solaris Internationalization Guide For Developers
                                --> Overview of en_US.UTF-8 Locale Support

And also a couple of Unicode conference papers we presented at the previous
Unicode conferences:

        http://members.tripod.com/~ienup/IUC10.pdf
        http://members.tripod.com/~ienup/iuc12.pdf

Please also visit http://www.sun.com/software/whitepapers.html in near
future. We are pushing in Solaris 7 Unicode support white paper.

With regards,

Ienup