RE: OFFTOPIC: What is "francais hexagonal"?

From: Christophe PIERRET (cpierret@businessobjects.com)
Date: Tue Nov 17 1998 - 14:09:53 EST

When you say "l'hexagone" , you speak about France (as a country), because
of the shape of the territory which roughly fits into an "hexagone".
So "français hexagonal" means "french language from french main territory"
as opposed to canadian french, belgian french, swiss french ...
This expression doesn't account for french spoken in french territories like
"Martinique" or "Guadeloupe" which are not included in the "hexagone".

Christophe Pierret
Levallois-Perret, France