Re: Glyphs of new Unicode 3.0 symbols

From: Roman Czyborra (czyborra@cs.tu-berlin.de)
Date: Mon Nov 23 1998 - 19:27:55 EST

> > http://czyborra.com/unifont/gif2bdf helped me to compress the
> > http://charts.unicode.org/Unicode.charts/Small.Glyphs/ into one handy
> > font http://pub.cs.tu-berlin.de/doc/uxterm/unicode.bdf.gz (150 KB)
> Distributing such a font may put you in violation of
> international copyright law.

I do know that I have to respect the copyrights and therefore I did
double-check the "Terms of use" located at
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/copyright.html where I found a license
to use the files for informational purposes in the creation of
products supporting the Unicode Standard.

> > 1. Distribute the bitmaps from charts.unicode.org on the CD-ROM
> > to relieve the charts.unicode.org server
> Those fonts don't belong to unicode.org.

I was not talking about the underlying proprietary fonts but just the
coarse bitmap prints that are published on charts.unicode.org already
and in such low a "font" quality that they are only usable for
academic purposes anyway. And it was only a suggestion.

> > 3. Add an "ASCII transliteration" mapping to each Unicode character
> > so that it can be rendered readable in ASCII contexts
> Are you volunteering to create the transliterations?

Hm... I could start coordinating something about that in December.
There are already some incomplete tables in the source codes of
http://lynx.browser.org/ http://www.angelfire.com/me/rch/ll.html#2UTF and
ftp://ftp.iro.umontreal.ca/pub/contrib/pinard/maintenance/recode/src/rfc1345.h

ME> This is way out of scope for the Unicode Consortium. They have
ME> more pressing things to do. However, some work on such Fallback
ME> is going on in CEN.

A simple and comprehensive (reversible or lossy?) Unicode->ASCII
transliteration could also be a task for http://www.elot.gr/tc46sc2/
but an ISO standard printed on paper would not help Unicode
implementors who need tables in electronic form as provided on the
unicode.org servers and the convenient Unicode CD-ROM.

> > 6. Add mapping tables for the other ISO standards listed as source
> > standards in chapter R.1 but not in mappings/iso*/
> Again, are you volunteering?

Don't these tables already exist as a by-product of collecting the
Unicode repertoire from the source standards?

> Although dotless j is a valid and useful glyph for making various
> j's with accents above, there is no evidence for its use as a
> character anywhere.

http://www.bbsinc.com/iso8879b.html (mapped to Unicode in
http://czyborra.com/yudit/SGML.kmap incidentally) contains \jmath as &jnodot;
- isn't that a source standard and thus strong enough an argument?

> it is your responsiblity to fill out the proposal summary form, make
> a proposal sith examples, and submit it to WG2 or the UTC.

Honestly, I would prefer to leave that to the professionals working on
Unicode completion and have them pick up these ideas at some point.

Regards
Roman