UTF-1?

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 - 18:34:12 EDT

ISO/IEC 10646-1 Amendment 4 says:

  Annex G:

  Delete the complete text of the annex, except for the heading Annex G.
  Below the heading Annex G insert the following text:

  "[This annex has been deleted, and its contents have been registered in the
  "ISO International Register of coded character sets to be used with escape
  sequences" as Registration no. 178 (revised).]"

The ISO Register contains:

  Registration Number: 178
  Escape Sequence: ESC 2/5 4/2
  Name: UCS Transformation Format (UTF-1)

The Unicode Standard 2.0 says on p.C-2:

  4. Removal of Annex G: UTF-1

I'm confused. Was UTF-1 *moved* or *removed*? Were its contents registered
before or after they were deleted?

Anyway, I take that UTF-1 is simply a precursor to UTF-8, to be ignored and
forgotten?

- Frank