Re: UTF-1?

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 - 19:01:24 EDT

Frank asked:

Annex G (informative) "UCS transformation format (UTF-1)" was removed
from ISO/IEC 10646-1:1993 by Amendment 4. (Or more exactly, the content
of Annex G was removed, while the header for Annex G was left as a placeholder.)

For ISO/IEC 10646-1:2000 (the "second edition" of 10646-1) any dead annex
letters have been recovered, so Annex G will be "Alphabetically sorted list
of character names" (what was Annex E in the first edition).

Registering the contents of the original Annex G (i.e., the description of
UTF-1) in the IR was just a way to retain information about UTF-1 in the
ISO framework, even though it had been removed from the standard.

It is moot whether the registration occurred before or after UTF-1 was
removed from 10646-1, but if you care, you can look up the date of the
registration of IR 178 in the ISO Register. UTF-1 would not have *officially*
been removed until the publication of Amendment 4 in 1996, the same year
that UTF-8 was published as Amendment 2.

And yes, UTF-1 should just be ignored and forgotten.

--Ken