Re: Multibyte definition

From: A. Vine (
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 15:39:55 EST wrote:
> An aside, the C Language Reference distinguishes between multibyte and wide
> characters, the latter used to refer to the Unicode specification.

Note that Microsoft wide characters and Unix wide characters are completely
different. Microsoft wide characters are 16-bit Unicode (I presume it's UCS-2
in older products, UTF-16 in newer products, but I don't know exactly). Unix
wide characters are 32-bit, and the charset/encoding scheme they contain depends
on the locale you're working in.

Andrea Vine,, iPlanet i18n architect
Guilty feet have got no rhythm.
-- George Michael