RE: DEC multilingual code page, ISO 8859-1, etc.

From: Robert Brady (robert@susu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 13:29:11 EST

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Chris Pratley wrote:

> when the characters in the 80-CF range are used. I'm curious why the makers
> of whatever browsers these are don't simply add support for non-ISO
> encodings like windows-1252 and be done with it (whether windows-1252 is

The problem is that the vast majority of windows-1252 texts, aren't
actually labelled as such. Often, they will claim to be ISO-8859-1,
US-ASCII and then actually be in Windows-1252.

Worse, in the case of HTML, they might claim to be in windows-1252, and
then expect € to Ÿ to do what they expect (as opposed to the
correct thing, which is to put question marks up there).

--
Robert