DEC multilingual code page, ISO 8859-1, etc.

From: Hart, Edwin F. (Edwin.Hart@jhuapl.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 11:55:29 EST

Actually, there were 3 very similar proposals in the draft stage and the 3
differed in only a few character assignments:

ECMA 94, ISO 8859-1, and ANSI dp 131.2 (or 132.2)

I heard that representatives from the 3 organizations developed a compromise
proposal that became ECMA 94 and ISO 8859-1. The ANSI proposal was never
progressed beyond the draft stage and in the early 1990s, ANSI/ISO 8859-1
was adopted instead as the "8-bit ASCII" standard.

The DEC multilingual page is likely based on one of the 3 drafts. However,
DEC had to commit the design before the compromise was reached and final
standards were approved.

Ed Hart

Edwin F. Hart
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
11100 Johns Hopkins Road
Laurel, MD 20723-6099
+1-443-778-6926 (Baltimore)
+1-240-228-6926 (DC Area)