RE: DEC multilingual code page, ISO 8859-1, etc.

From: Kevin Bracey (kevin.bracey@pace.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 03:13:33 EST

In message <200003250043.QAA27919@unicode.org>
          Chris Pratley <chrispr@microsoft.com> wrote:

> And I don’t think getting
           ^ great demonstration of your software, btw :)
> hardcore and disabling the current browser workaround of treating #128;
> through #159; as windows-1252 is the right way either - it is just
> frustrating and leads to a "buggy" experience for the end-user.

But Microsoft could do it. Perhaps you could use your near-monopoly to push
these sorts of things through? As long as Internet Explorer allows people
to tag CP1252 as ISO-8859-1 all other browser authors will have to, or
customers whinge that "it works on IE".

Microsoft has the market position to enforce standards on the Web - people
write their pages FOR Internet Explorer without realising that hundreds of
other browsers exits. If IE wasn't so forgiving, the Web would be a lot
cleaner.

<cynicism> Of course, conforming to standards would just make it easier for
other people to write browsers. </cynicism>

I am worried though that the CP1252 characters will persist in slots U+0080
to U+009F of Unicode indefinitely - I've already seen fonts with them in
their Unicode mapping tables.

Pace Micro Technology plc                     Tel: +44 (0) 1223 518566
645 Newmarket Road                            Fax: +44 (0) 1223 518526
Cambridge, CB5 8PB, United Kingdom            WWW: http://www.acorn.co.uk/