Re: Case insensitive comparisions

From: Brendan Murray/DUB/Lotus (
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 12:33:59 EST

Monocasing is dangerous, given that most systems assume that ASCII behaves
in a particular way. In particular, the Turkish I causes all kinds of grief
("why can't I open my INI-file?"). There is also that other source of much
mirth and merriment: contracting/expanding case variations. For example,
the comparison of "STRASSE" and "Straße" should return equal in German
case-insensitive comparisons.

In reality, the correct way to do this is to retrieve a collation key for
each character and use this instead of assuming that performing an
operation on the character itself will generate an inherent comparison