Re: CP1252 under Unix

From: Robert A. Rosenberg (bob.rosenberg@digitscorp.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 12:22:40 EST

At 05:31 AM 03/25/2000 -0800, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
>cp1252 is not amongst them, as there is not registered
>charse with IANA with this name, and I doubt that it ever be
>recommended.

Are you SURE? I seem to remember that it WAS registered with IANA recently
(since all the others already were and it had fallen though the cracks).

>My advice would be for cp1252 pages, that the be either marked as
>iso-8859-1 and then the extra characters be given with their
>decimal &xxxx; UCS code, or they be encoded in UTF-8.

I agree with you with the addition that ANY page that is received as
ISO-8859-1 should map the C1 range to the correct UCS codes just as you
suggest should be done by the creator (ie: Treat the C1 codepoint range as
GLYPHS not as control characters that will not occur in the HTML in the
first place).