RE: DEC multilingual code page, ISO 8859-1, etc.

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 17:48:53 EST

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Chris Pratley wrote:

> As a counter-example to my own argument, with IE5 and Office2000 we did
> decide to take a leap and force Unicode on users. Not many people know that
> IE5 and Office2000 send URLs in UTF-8 by default. The server is expected to
> assume UTF-8 if it could be UTF-8, otherwise try to use its local encoding
> (IIS4 and 5 do this). We got significant complaints in Korea and Taiwan
> where there were apparently a significant number of ISPs supporting local
> characters in URLs by assuming the local encoding (KSC-5601or Big5) so we
> had to turn UTF-8 off by default there, but in most other areas it went over

  IMHO, problems with Korean and Taiwanese ISPs are not MS IE's falut
but that of those who assumed the local encoding in the URL(filename/path
part) They should fix their web pages and MS IE should not retreat on
that front.

  BTW, the name of the local encoding most widely used in Korea is NOT KS C
5601(which is just the old name of the coded character set KS X 1001
which comprises EUC-KR and other Korean encodings) BUT EUC-KR(one of
several possible encodings/character set encoding schemes for TWO coded
character sets US-ASCII/ISO 646 AND KS X 1001). Please, stop pass along
the wrong information just as Kano's infamous book does.

     Jungshik Shin