Re: DEC multilingual code page, ISO 8859-1, etc.

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 19:46:01 EST

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> We don't need to upgrade, so we don't.

If there were good fonts available for the windows-1252 extensions of
Latin-1, and if people knew that that's what they need to view all those
Web pages and emails, then they might upgrade (to those fonts, and to
software that can handle those fonts).

> In the case for example of the Netscape browser, I would estimate the
> time it takes for a new version to become dominant at around 18 months
> (Erik, do you agree)?

I don't really know... I suspect that it was a lot faster in the old
days (1.0, 2.0) and that it slowed down considerably for 4.X. It may
take quite a while for Netscape 6 to become dominant in the Unix world
(or maybe Konqueror would become dominant (does it support JavaScript,
etc?)).

Erik