Re: Unicode Fonts

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 12:43:42 EST

Suzanne Topping wrote:

> Related to the Microsoft font utilities that people have suggested over the
> last few days, is there anything which lists the glyphs included in font
> sets?
>
> This comes from a question Joon posed recently. His exact question (off
> list) was: "...I am trying to figure out how many and which Unicode
> characters do not have a glyph on a Standard Unicode TrueType font."
> Pronunciation symbols seemed to be a particular problem.

I don't know if this would help, but have you tried "charmap" on
Windows? You can get to it via Start | Programs | Accessories |
Character Map (or similar paths) on most current Windows systems, I
think. Or just run "charmap" from a command line or Run dialog. This
utility actually draws all of the glyphs in a little window, so I don't
know if that's what you want.

I have also used TrueType Explorer from sales@ttexplorer.com some time
ago. It has a GUI to explore TrueType fonts.

Mozilla is open source, so if you are willing to do some programming in
C++, you could create a tool from Mozilla's TrueType cmap parser. Let me
know if you're interested in this.

There may be other tools available, but many experts are now at the
Unicode conference in Amsterdam, so you may not hear from them for a
while...

Erik