Re: Layout of Unicode 3.0 book with FrameMaker

From: Juliusz Chroboczek (jec@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 04:39:16 EDT

Kenneth Whistler <kenw@sybase.com>:

KW> Not highly recommended! If we could have used a text layout
KW> tool that understood Unicode fonts, we would have.

Ken,

Could I suggest that you have a look into the ``Omega'' variant of
TeX? Omega supports complex user-customisable mappings between the
input encoding (which can be anything from UTF-16 through your
favourite legacy encoding to an ASCII-only Arabic transliteration),
the Omega internal encoding (a glyph encoding based on Unicode) and
the output encoding (anything your fonts use). The mapping mechanisms
have been designed to be sufficiently powerful to handle scripts such
as Arabic. Don't ask about Bidi, Omega supports sixteen writing
directions.

Out of the box, Omega currently supports Latin, Greek, Cyrillic,
Arabic, Hebrew, Tifinagh and maths. However, it has been designed to
be extremely extensible, and you should get enthusiastic support and
help from the authors.

I refer you to

  http://www.gutenberg.eu.org/omega/

or to your favourite TeX distribution.