Re: Dotless j

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 13:00:30 EDT

Ar 06:53 -0800 2000-04-05, scríobh John Cowan:
>Andreas Prilop wrote:
>>
>> You need a dotless 'j' if you want to combine it with a circumflex
>> (Esperanto) or with a hacek (ISO transliteration of Cyrillic) or
>> with an arrow (vector).
>
>In Unicode, the dots on i and j disappear all by themselves: you encode
>î as LATIN SMALL LETTER I followed by COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX, and likewise
>for j.

John, there is NO magic in Unicode. Nothing happens "by itself".

DOTLESS J is a character in Swedish Låndsmålalfabetet, and Norway, Finland,
and Ireland will be proposing all that stuff in due course. We are
coordinating Låndsmålalfabetet with Dania and Norvegia, as well as with the
Finno-Ugric Phonetic Alphabet (FUPA) for which a preliminary draft has been
made available.

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169